- The flavors of an egg roll without the unhealthy deep-fried wrapper
- Using coleslaw mix means prep is super simple.
- Topping it all with a spicy mayo takes this egg roll in a bowl recipe, or “crack slaw” recipe, to the next level!
- No added sweeteners, grains, gluten, or soy. Perfect for those with allergies or who are just trying to eat healthily!
- Made in one skillet, so fewer dishes!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings 4 people
Calories 416 kcal
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6 green onions sliced, green and white parts divided
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 8-oz. can water chestnuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or hot sauce
- 14 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or black pepper
- salt to taste
- black sesame seeds for garnish
- green parts of sliced green onions from above
Creamy Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha or hot sauce
- salt to taste
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet and place over medium heat.
- Add white parts of green onions, diced red onion, and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until the red onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground meat, grated ginger, water chestnuts, and 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce or chili-garlic sauce and cook until pork is browned, broken up, and cooked through about 7-10 minutes.
- Add coleslaw mix, coconut aminos or soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, white pepper, and salt, to taste, and stir until well combined. Cook, stirring regularly, until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1-2 tablespoons compliant hot sauce. Add a pinch of salt, to taste. To drizzle, place creamy chili sauce in a small plastic sandwich bag.
To plate: spoon a hearty helping of the meat-cabbage mixture in a serving bowl. Snip off the corner of the sandwich bag with the creamy chili sauce and drizzle over egg roll in a bowl recipe mixture. Garnish with green parts of the green onions and black sesame seeds.
- Try broccoli slaw instead of the shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix.
- If you tolerate soy well, you can substitute soy sauce for the coconut aminos. Make sure you’re light on the salt afterward, though. Or try tamari or Bragg’s aminos and low carb hot sauce.
- Add in water chestnuts for a lovely crunch.
- This recipe makes enough to serve two with leftovers or four without. It’s fantastic for meal prep, just make sure you keep the creamy spicy mayo / red chili sauce separate.
- If you can’t eat eggs, try a vegan mayo in place of the regular mayonnaise for the red chili sauce.
- Make sure you simmer the sauce down so it’s not very liquid. You want it thick and rich!
Note: Adapted from recipes posted by