White Turkey Chili
This is a great alternative to red chili. It is great as leftovers and easily packed in a thermos for transport.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 medium poblano peppers seeded and white ribs removed, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or more if you like it spicy
- 2 lb ground white meat turkey
- 30 oz white beans such as cannellini, drained and rinsed
- 8 cup organic free range chicken broth
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves chopped, optional
- 1 avocado chopped, optional
Heat the oil in large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat.
Add the onion, celery, and peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes.
Add the garlic, cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring about 30 seconds.
Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink about 2 minutes.
Add the white beans, broth and oregano. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes.
Add the salt and more cayenne pepper, to taste, and continue cooking, partially covered, 10 minutes longer.
Ladle into individual bowls and top with cilantro and garnish with avocados if desired.